Nominate a young person for an amazing free 5- night sea voyage with the Ocean Youth Trust South!
Poole Harbour Commissioners (PHC) run the Poole Harbour Boat Show (PHBS) and have chosen Ocean Youth Trust South (OYT South) as their charity partner of the year for the 2019 Poole Harbour Boat Show. As part of the charitable partnership they are offering 12 lucky local young people the opportunity to participate in a free 5- night voyage on the sail training vessel Prolific between 21st – 26th August 2019. Entries are now open and organisers are urging the local community to get involved and to get nominating young people aged 12 – 18 years in Dorset!
Poole Harbour Boat Show Marketing Director Tracy Payne advised, “This will provide an amazing and potentially life changing opportunity for a young person in Dorset. It could be anyone! It might be someone that you feel wouldn’t normally have access to an incredible opportunity like this. It could be someone who’s doing well at school, it might be a young carer or simply someone that you think deserves a treat. We want you to tell us the reason why they should be chosen for this incredible experience! Nominating a young person could provide a fantastic introduction for them in to the marine sector, opening up all sorts of possibilities and opportunities for the future. The nominations process is now open and it’s easy to do. Simply visit www.pooleharbourboatshow.co.uk/getonthewater and fill in our online form.
Ocean Youth Trust South provides residential voyages called ‘Adventure Under Sail’ as a personal development opportunity for young people, aged 12 – 25. The voyages on board its 32-metre sail training vessel, Prolific, are used to work with around 450 young people each year. Young people sail as active crew members, responsible for sail handling, steering, watch-keeping, helping with navigation and voyage planning, cooking, cleaning and more. The aim is to develop skills and qualities that will be of lasting value to those young people, as well as their schools, employers, families and communities.”
Tracy Payne added, “One of the missions of the PHBS is to get people on the water. Partnering with Ocean Youth Trust South provides a brilliant opportunity to get children on the water that wouldn’t ordinarily have the chance to do so. It’s not just about learning to sail as the voyage is designed to develop skills such as confidence, team-working, communication and the ability to cope with unfamiliar situations and learn tolerance and understanding of others.
“Poole Harbour Commissioner’s Marina Manager Kerrie Gray benefitted from a similar opportunity during her own school days and it had a massive, positive impact on her experiences and hugely inspired her. It ultimately transformed and defined Kerrie’s career path and opened up a whole new life for her on the water. She sailed on John Laing, an Ocean Youth Trust ship and went on to volunteer for the Tall Ships Youth Trust – sailing as a Watch Leader and Deckhand on various voyages including 2 Atlantic crossings and 6 months sailing around the Caribbean. Kerrie was subsequently inspired to join the Royal Navy and eventually joined the team at Poole Harbour Commissioners where marine is obviously a significant part of her life!”
Tracy concluded, “We also have a JustGiving fundraising page for OYT South www.justgiving.com/fundraising/pooleboatshow and we look forward to letting you know about fundraising activities that will be taking place later on in the year.”
The 2019 Poole Harbour Boat Show takes place from 7th – 9th June and is supported by headline sponsors, Sunseeker International
Competition T’s and C’s
- Open to young people age 12 – 18 years old (at the time of the trip)
- The entries will be judged by a panel. The panel will select whom they feel are the most deserving, regardless of the number of nominations received.
- Nominations close at 11.59pm on Friday 3rd May 2019.
- Voyage dates are non-negotiable.
- Individuals must be available to sail from Brixham to Poole between 21st – 26th August 2019.
- Selected participants would need to be willing to be available for promotional activities around the Poole Harbour Boat Show and the Ocean Youth Trust Voyage.
- The prize is non- transferable and has no monetary value.
- Selected participants must adhere to the Ocean Youth Trust South’s T&C’s http://www.oytsouth.org/default.asp
- Permissions from parents/guardians will be needed for participation in the voyage.
- Selected participants will be required to fill in an Ocean Youth Trust South booking form before a place on the voyage can be confirmed.