Portsmouth, up to £25k pa (depending on experience)
As our Digital Communications Officer, you’ll work with the Tall Ships Head of Communications to develop an engaging and relevant digital content calendar that organically grows our follower base through content that encourages conversation and participation - with our loyal supporters and those new to the Tall Ships brand. You will analyse the success of content according to performance indicators and use this to identify new opportunities in digital outreach. You will also contribute to the creation and implementation of a digital strategy.
The Tall Ships Youth Trust is one of the world’s oldest sail training charity. We offer young people, from all walks of life, unique physically and mentally challenging experiences at sea which aim to develop their long-term life skills including team working, confidence and problem-solving skills. We also offer adventure voyages for adults which directly support our highly effective Youth Development Programme. Many of the young people who sail with us are marginalised by society and feel their life prospects are low but we equip them with the skills they need to turn their lives around, this could be as simple as cooking and cleaning or giving them the responsibility of steering an ocean going yacht. We have a vision of society where the exclusion of young people and lack of opportunities to them are things of the past. We are doing everything we can to make this vision a reality.
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Strong storytelling skills and copywriting experience, to optimise connectivity with target audiences.
• Strong communicator and stakeholder manager
• Ability to execute with excellence and high attention to detail
• Total focus on our beneficiaries
• Ability to think “Tall Ships brand” and execute swiftly on social channels
• Highly motivated with the desire to succeed
• A pro-active self-starter with the ability to work autonomously
• Ability and willingness to react to changes and to work at pace
• A keen eye for aesthetics – an essential skill for anyone creating content on external platforms, particularly channels such as Instagram.
KEY EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• A degree in a relevant subject or at least 2 years’ experience in a digital communications role including monitoring social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, YouTube and other emerging channels), using a CMS system, using Mailchimp and reporting on impact.
• Good knowledge of social media and analytics platforms including HootSuite, Google Analytics and Facebook Insights.
• The ability to write engaging copy for different audiences across online communications, including website updates, social posts, newsletters and blog posts.
• Experience of creating, optimising and reporting on paid social campaigns.
• Strong creative eye with excellent verbal and written skills.
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe products including Photoshop, Indesign, and Premier
• Experience of working with vulnerable groups and being sensitive to their needs.
• Previous experience in Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
• To be on top of the latest algorithm updates and developments on digital - to be considered throughout content creation to attract and engage people online.
You’ll develop a ‘Tall Ships’ Community’ for the charity and deliver competitive advantage through highly responsive and personal social interactions. Working with the head of Communications, you’ll define and execute our influencer strategy to unlock micro and macro influencers and amplify key activities/events/fundraising across all digital channels. Blending creative skills with a head for numbers, you’ll work with our analytics platforms (Hootsuite, Facebook insights and Google Analytics) to develop and implement a measurement and evaluation process that provides real-time feedback on social content so we can test and learn quickly. A key member of the Tall Ships Communications team, you’ll bring online follower insight to the wider team to help inform our communications development; identifying emerging trends in digital and social marketing, evaluating new technologies, and ensuring that Tall Ships is at the forefront.
1. Content Planning and Execution (30%)
• Run social channels on a day to day basis, responding to queries as necessary
• Plan social content weekly
• Develop and optimise digital and social media outputs including text, images and video to reach a wide range of audiences
• Evaluate what content requires boosting
• Tap into trending topics and generate positive conversations in ‘the now’ to ensure we’re ready to react to trending topics.
• Work in partnership with the Head of Communications, Fundraisers and Volunteer manager to activate marketing plans especially around high opportunity occasions such as Round-the-UK voyages, Christmas, and Mothers/Fathers’ day.
• Gather key sales data, customer insight and operations feedback across these channels to feed into campaign review process.
2. Community Management (30%)
• Community management of our social channels, 7 days a week
• Liaison with the CEO to escalate enquiries or complaints
• Monitoring of Instagram DMs, Facebook and Twitter messages daily, responding where necessary
3. Insight and Analysis (25%)
• Deploy test and learn programs and apply rigorous measurement to understand the most effective social engagement strategies by channel.
• Analyse our social channel performance and produce monthly report
• Spot trends and advise on best social media content and new technologies
4. Web Content Management (15%)
• Update supporter-facing web content and campaign messaging
• Review digital content making sure it is up to date and search engine optimised
• Edit and publish digital content in line with the tone of voice and style guide
• Publish daily blog content
5. Ad hoc additional support for the Tall Ships Team
• Sales and Marketing Manager
• Volunteer manager
• Head of Communications
• Donor Journey Manager
• Our supporters and donors!
How to apply
Although there is no closing date, an appointment will be made as soon as a suitable candidate is identified.