JOB VACANCY - Skipper
Do you have what it takes to join one of the foremost youth Sail Training charities in the UK?
Full time sailing season – February to November 2019
• You will principally be required to skipper and sail Pegasus, although you may be required to work on any other vessel of the Company.
• You will skipper school and youth group charters as well as private hire charters for adults.
• Undertake charters that will vary in duration and destination.
• Decision making and planning.
• Delegating responsibilities both in harbour and on passage.
• Preparing for the arrival of the charterers.
• Working with the charterers collectively or individually in pursuit of their objectives.
• Routine maintenance tasks.
• Principal duties afloat are;
1. To assume authority at all times, to make decisions with regard to the safety of the vessel.
2. To ensure compliance with the MCA codes of practise.
3. To maintain and train staff in the use of all onboard safety equipment.
4. Ensure the safe navigation of the vessel.
5. To maintain a watch consistent with the requirements of good seamanship.
6. To attend to the needs of customers whilst on board.
The vessels will generally be moored at Plymouth Yacht Haven for south coast and channel voyages. You may need to join the vessel elsewhere in the UK throughout the season.
Pegasus, 2008 gaff-rigged pilot cutter, 72ft, 10 guest berths.
Skills and attributes:
• Qualified to Yachtmaster Offshore level (essential)
• In-date medical qualification e.g. ENG1 or ML5 (essential)
• Prepared to undertake DBS check and further training as required (essential)
• Experience of working with young people (preferred but not essential)
• Able to understand the (sometimes complex) needs of others and moderate working practices and approaches accordingly
• Empathic and compassionate
• A good team player and excellent communicator
If you would like to discuss the post in more detail, please contact Tom Walker, Operations Manager on 07785572680.
Closing date for applications: 31 December 2018